Happy Monday, yet again! Hard to believe it’s been a whole week since I last posted on here. But this one is worth the wait people!! I’ve been eyeing up coconut shrimp recipes on Pinterest for months (no lie), but I had such a hard time finding unsweetened coconut. Leave it to Reading Terminal Market to come through for me.
What better way to celebrate the season premiere of Dancing with the Stars with my good friend/sous chef Maura?
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon water
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine coconut flakes and panko crumbs in a bowl.
3. Mix the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and sugar in a bowl.
4. Whisk egg in another bowl.
5. Dip the shrimp in the flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then in the coconut crumb mixture.
6. Lay shrimp on the cookie sheet then spray the top of the shrimp with more cooking spray
7. Bake in the middle rack for about 10 minutes. Turn shrimp over then bake for another 6-7 minutes or until cooked though. Remove from oven and serve with dipping sauce.
Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1. Mix ingredients and serve with coconut shrimp.
We served our Coconut Shrimp and Sweet and Spicy sauce with baked green beans (coat green beans with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake in the oven with shrimp).
Enjoy! Oh, and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!:P