Guess what day it is??…
To help myself get through this hump day, I decided to try another recipe from my 300 Calories or Less! book. This time, I tried the vegetarian Broccoli Pizza recipe. It was a little more than an hour and a half process, but very low maintenance and well worth the wait! I’ve never made pizza before — especially from scratch — and I was pleasantly surprised with my results for a first-timer!
274 calories per serving. Serves 8.
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups bread flour, plus extra for dusting
2 sprays of olive oil spray
1. Combine the warm water, yeast, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir well. Let sit about 10 minutes, or until bubbly.
2. Stir in the olive oil, then gradually mix in the flour with an electric mixer until the dough forms a ball.
3. Invert the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two, or until firm.
4. Wash and dry the mixing bowl, then spray with olive oil.
5. Put the dough in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for about an hour, until doubled in size.
2 cups small broccoli florets
2 tsp olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 1/4 cups shredded vegetarian Swiss cheese
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and spray a large baking sheet with olive oil.
2. Roll out the pizza dough onto prepared baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until just beginning to brown.
3. In the meantime, put the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup of water and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
4. Microwave the broccoli for about 3 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and chop the broccoli into small florets.
5. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
6. Add the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
7. Remove onion and garlic from heat and stir in oregano.
8. Spread the onion mixture evenly onto the part-baked pizza crust, followed by broccoli and then Swiss cheese and pepper flakes.
9. Bake pizza for another 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden brown.
10. Serve immediately.
Enjoy and congrats on surviving another Hump Day!!